Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Group F

Group F-    Argentina….Bosnia & Herzegovina….Iran…Nigeria

Group F contains my pick to win the World Cup.  Argentina is now my favorite. This gives me no joy. I do not cheer for this South American powerhouse. I was never a fan of Maradona.  I am begrudging in my respect for Messi, but the simple fact is, they have deep talent. They are playing right next door to their home, which as history has shown is a real plus. They are healthy, and they have confidence, but not the immense pressure that Brazil have. These group games are just scrimmages and they will be primed and ready when the knock out stages start in 2 weeks.
 The second place team was not an easy choice, but I am going with Nigeria, not because of any great faith in their abilities. After all…they did not look that great against the US on Saturday, rather my lack of faith in the other two teams in this group. The Nigerian team is physical and healthy enough to get the points they need against the other weak opponents.
Bosnia is not a real threat to get out of the group. The team has a couple players with top flight European experience, but no real depth and no World Cup experience, since this is their first time qualifying. I realize they scored goals during the qualifying process, 30 in 10 games, but that was against weak teams and when asked to defend themselves…they have been lacking.

Iran is not going to make it out. Enough said. They do not have world class talent and they do not have experience. They will load up 10 players behind the ball. Frustrate and break up as much of the other teams offense as possible and hope that a mistake is made that somehow gives them a goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment