Friday, June 13, 2014

Holland-Spain

Well I was planning on making one post at the end of the day to cover the games that were played that day, but the Spain- Netherlands game requires some kind of comment.  What a trouncing. I believe that my predictions were for a draw. I think that I thought these teams were a bit long in the tooth and that they would be a little slow.  I was half right. Spain were missing a step, and the “Barcelona” style that has made them the most successful national side for the last 6-8 years has to some extent been neutralized.  Coaches have figured out how to clog the middle and attack the flanks, and while this might not have worked when the Spanish midfield was quicker, father time has slowed them a step or two, and that’s all these teams need to take advantage. I was worried that the early penalty/flop was going to be the story of the game, but Van Percy and Robben took care of that concern. I had stated that the Dutch were always dangerous to attack, but I did not see that onslaught coming. The young players did their bit, and the old guard looked anything but old.  Holland is now a favorite to win this group, and while I still expect Spain to rebound and get to the next round, Chile must be licking their lips at the opportunity that lies at their feet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment